Well I've been here for a month now. At times its hard to believe that I've been gone that long and yet it's still going to be quite some time until I get back. Bagram hasn't been that horrible a place to be deployed to. However I'll be honest paying $100 a month for 15k internet really sucks. For those that didn't quite follow that, lets just say that its quite a bit slower than AOL was back in the 90's. The food here is pretty good (for military chow). Obviously no booze....sigh.
I spent the last 3 weeks out and about in the wonderful countryside of Afghanistan. I, obviously started off in Bagram, took a flight down to Salerno and spent a week there waiting for a flight out to the outlying districts. While out we ended up staying in Gardez, Ahmed Khel, Cham Khani and finaly Herrera. Needless to say it was hot, dusty, miserable and at the same time very tense.
After being out it makes you appreciate what you have. No, I'm not being overly philosophical. It's just that you look at where you are, where you were and quit being spoiled. I still hate the internet here because 1) its shitty that its not provided for us a benefit 2) its sad that we pay for it and the company is paid by the army per the contract 3) the fact that we are the most advanced military on the planet and this is the best we can do for connectivity for our soldiers.
I'll try not to bitch to much here, mainly because it's not going to change anything or get me home sooner. Besides I seriously doubt anyone wants read to gripes. I'm going to attempt to more or less chronicle my time here and the experiences involved.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment